Dear Ken

In EN 60950 and UL1950 appendix D you can find a description on how to
measure leakage current and the specifications for the meter. This is taken
from another standard which I don't know the number of.  If you don't use a
meter with the right data you will never know what is the right
measurement.

Best regards,

Kim Boll Jensen
i-data, Denmark

                    "Matsuda, Ken"

                    <MATSUDAK@curti        To:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org

                    sinst.com>             cc:

                    Sent by:               Subject:     Leakage Current
Measurements
                    owner-emc-pstc@

                    ieee.org

                    03-10-00 21:44

                    Please respond

                    to "Matsuda,

                    Ken"

I found something interesting today.  While measuring leakage current with
digital multimeter, I noticed a high amount of leakage.  The unit
incorporates a switching power supply, with some EMI/EMC circuitry.
Anyhow,
I read somewhere that DMMs are some times inaccurate with high frequency
line conducted emissions.  Took a old Simpson analog meter (took forever to
figure it out, since I've never touched a analog meter  hehehe) and found
measurements that were rather low.  The questions is, I'm wondering if UL
or
for that matter, any other testing agency actually know about this fact, or
merely fail their clients with incorrect data.

Any input on this subject would be appreciated.

Ken