forwarded for gho...@us.tuv.com

Subject:    RE: MRAs
Author: gho...@us.tuv.com
Date:       10/2/00 10:42 AM

Hi Ron,

That is exactly correct. There is a definite distinction in the U.S.
between residential requirements and commercial application requirements.
Commercial is mandated through legislation as you stated, whereby products
destined for residential only applications is voluntary. The Consumer
Protection Agency in the U.S. can verify this. The liable issue and buyer
contracts for large retailers ( specifying in their contracts that
approvals are required) is what usually drives a consumer product
manufacturer to regulatory testing. In Canada, both consumer and commercial
applications have mandatory requirements under, if I remember correctly,
the National Electrical Code.

Best regards,
Garry Hojan
Division Manager-Telecom Services