In a message dated 29/09/00 15:15:08 GMT Daylight Time, Daryl Alden writes:

<< Can anybody advise me whether an MRA (mutual recognition agreement )exsists
 between the EU and the US?
 If so does this mean that electrical and mechanical products tested to CE
 standards do not need further approval (UL?) to be marketed in the states. >>

I'm not an expert on this, but I can add a view.  I don't know of any MRA's
but I do know that the UL requirements and CE marking requirements are coming
from very different positions.   UL is essentially an Electrical/fire
protective issue, while Euro/CE requirements are essentially born of Freedom
of Trade.  There is much UL approved material which wouldn't comply with EU
rules, and vice versa.  There seems little room for mutual recognition under
such diverse aims.

My understanding is that to sell in the States, you need to use UL material
regardless of it's CE approval status.  To sell in the EEC you need to have a
CE mark, regardless of what safety approvals the material has.

Chris Dupres
Surrey, UK.