Subject: Re: R: R: Conducted Emissions on Telecom Ports
Author:  "Ken Javor" <SMTP:ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> at ADEMCONET
Date:    9/8/2000 5:31 PM

The point is that RE/CE protect broadcast bands.  Making an RE measurement
(E or H field, regardless) from a LAN line a couple meters long is not
representative of what you would measure if the LAN line were significantly
longer, as it might be in situ.  Therefore a CE measurement can be better
correlated to predicted RE from a much longer line (at frequencies where the

tested LAN line is electrically short.

----------
>From: Paolo Roncone <paolo.ronc...@compuprint.it>
>To: "'Ken Javor'" <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com>, "'Cortland Richmond'"
<72146....@compuserve.com>
>Cc: "'emc-p...@ieee.org'" <emc-p...@ieee.org>
>Subject: R: R: Conducted Emissions on Telecom Ports
>Date: Fri, Sep 8, 2000, 3:51 AM
>

> Ken and Cortland and many others that entered this subject :
>
> First, radiated emissions are best measured with radiated (not conducted)
> measurements. There is a correlation between CM currents and RE but that's

> not all (resonances, cable layout  etc. count a lot).
> Second, you say that CE are easier to measure than RE ? Agree if you talk
> about emissions on AC power cords (as per CISPR22 and FCC part 15). But
for
> the new requirements on telecom ports, I suggest you to take a look at the

> new (3.ed.) CISPR22 or EN55022 (sec. 9.5 + annex C.1) and may be you
change
> your opinion !
> Radiated emissions above 30 MHz are already covered.
> If you wanna take care of lower frequencies (< 30 MHz) take a loop antenna

> (remember  the old VDE rules ?) and measure radiated H-fields with your
> system in the same (typical) layout used for the higher frequencies (with
> whatever cables you specify, UTS, STP etc.). I am sure that is much
> quicker, easier and repeatable than all the nonsense (ISNs, CDNs, clamps,
> current probes, capacitive probes, ferrites, 150 ohm resistors, signal
> generators, impedance measurements, voltage measurements, current
> measurements and more) in the new CISPR22.
> As for the question of "outside world", I think in this ever more
connected
> world the border line between INSIDE and OUTSIDE is getting more and more
> blurred, BUT I also think that a line must be drawn by the standard
bodies,
> otherwise it's gonna really get too much confusing  (hope some
> CISPR/CENELEC member gets it).
> If we spill over the line (office, floor, building... whatever), emissions

> requirements  are triggered. But within that line it's to be considered an

> "intra-system" (what's the system ? that's another good question to be
> settled) interference potential and the manufacturer should take care of
it
> without need of enforcement because he has all the interest in making a
> product (system) that works properly and reliably.
>
> One last point: based on David Sterner's note, looks to me that North
> America has a pretty extensive Ethernet and-the-like network. I honestly
> don't know if the FCC has already enforced emission limits on LAN ports.
> Anyway, based on David's note looks like there are no complaits of
> interference with TV and telephones. And please note, this is the very
> bottom line of it. Emission limits should be intended to protect public
> services ... and physics works the same on both sides of the Atlantic...
or