Hi Paolo and Jim!

I think I found the answer to your doubts in the IEEE Std. 142-1991, "IEEE
Recommended Practice for Grounding ...". Look at section "3.2.6.3 Humidity
Control" (that I largely quote in the following).

(If my understanding is right), the ambient relative humidity has a big
influence on the surface conductivity of many insulating materials (such as
fabrics, etc.). The higher the humidity, the greater the surface conductivity.

At normal humidity (30% or more) an invisible film of water provides an
electrical leakage path over most solid insulating bodies (and the clothes and
shoes of a worker), which drains away static charges as fast as they are
generated. When relative humidity is 30% or less the same materials dry out and
become good insulators and static manifestations become noticeable.

To summarize, my understanding of IEEE Std. 142-1991 is that low humidity makes
easier the "trapping" of charges on poor-conductive bodies entering into
contact. This makes ESD more likely and more "intense". The increased
dielectric strength of dry air should be (by far?) not enough to compensate for
the more intensive charging (and higher electric field).

This is my "drei Groschen" interpretation of IEEE Std. 142-1991.

Cheers!

Canio Dichirico
European Southern Observatory
Technical Division - Electronic Systems Department
Karl-Schwarzschild-Str. 2
D-85748 Garching bei München

Tel./Fax +49-89-3200 6500
Fax +49-89-320 23 62