Hi Paolo:

>   what about relative humidity of air ?
>   I believe breakdown voltage depends also on humidity content of air.

Contrary to "conventional wisdom," the water
content of air, humidity, actually increases
the dielectric strength of air by a slight
amount.  (Sorry, but I cannot cite where I
read this.)  As I recall, the increase is so
small as to be negligible compared to all of
the other factors affecting dielectric
strength of air.

Note that liquid water and gaseous water
(water vapor) have entirely different physical
properties.  It is not unreasonable for water
vapor to have a greater electric strength
than air.

For gases, according to the Standard Handbook
for Electrical Engineers:

    The relative dielectric strength, with few
    exceptions, tends upward with increasing
    molecular weight.

    The noble atomic gases (helium, argon, neon,
    etc.) are poorest... and have the lowest
    dielectric strengths.

If we applied this generality (contrary to my
initial assertion), then the electric strength
of water vapor, H2O, should be less than that
of either oxygen, O2, or nitrogen, N2.  However,
note that the actual number of molecules of
water vapor in air at any temperature is very
small compared to the number of molecules of
oxygen and nitrogen.  So, the reduction of
dielectric strength by the presence of water
vapor, if any, will be very small.

Regards,
Rich