Subject:    N-MH Batteries
Author: ron_du...@agilent.com
Date:       9/19/00 11:25 AM

Hi,

I am in the process of qualifying a product the uses a nickel metal hydride
(N-MH) battery. It is shrink wrapped and appears to be four AA cells in
series. the rating is 4.8 volts, 1100 mAh.

My standard requires a fault analyses of the charging circuit. As I have had
no experience with N-MH batteries I can only guess what the expected outcome
will be when overcharged. The faulted charging circuit could be either 6.5
volts at 2 amps, or 9 volts at 1 amp.

I have only one sample to test so I can't afford to make a mistake.

What will I expect to see?

Does the N-MH battery come with a built in vent?
If so, does the vent release toxic, flammable, or any other hazard?

Is there a chance of explosion?

There appears to be a fuse under the shrink wrap. Is it to prevent high
current in the event of a short? Our could it be a thermal device to prevent
overcharging?

Any other hints or advice?

Ron Duffy

Agilent Technologies