        From:  Ron Pickard [SMTP:rpick...@hypercom.com]
        Sent:  Tuesday, June 20, 2000 1:47 PM
        To:  wo...@sensormatic.com
        Cc:  t...@world.std.com; emc-p...@ieee.org
        Subject:  Re: General Product Safety and Liability Directives

        Hi Richard,

        I disagree with you regarding your claim about these two directives
only
        being applicable to consumer products.

        The General Product Safety Directive (GPSD) is focused towards
product
        where no other directives apply. The GPSD states"

         Article 1

         1. The purpose of the provisions of this Directive is to ensure
that
         products placed on the market are safe.

         2. The provisions of this Directive shall apply in so far as there
are no
         specific provisions in rules of Community law governing the safety
of the
         products concerned.

         It is agreed that as time moves on, there will be more product
family
         specific directives put into force effectively limiting the scope
of the
         GPSD.

        The Liability Directive (LD) title is focused to "... concerning
liability
        for defective products". And, Article 1 of the LD states "The
producer
        shall be liable for damage caused by a defect in his product." This
        directive, in fact, deals with the liabilities of defective products
        regardless of market focus.

         As can be plainly seen, neither directive is focused toward
consumer
         products. In fact, they reference to no particular product areas.
However,
         the GPSD appears to be a catchall where no other directive applies.

         Well, so much for my 2 cents worth of opinions. Comments?

         Best regards,

         Ron Pickard

         rpick...@hypercom.com

                            WOODS@Sensormatic

                            .com                     To:
emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org, t...@world.std.com
                            Sent by:                 cc:

                            treg-approval@wor        Subject:     General
Product Safety and Liability Directives
                            ld.std.com

                            06/20/00 07:58 AM

                            Please respond to

                            WOODS

        In the following discussion, I am interested in determining the
legal
        aspects only.

        The General Product Safety Directive and the Liability Directives
apply to
        consumer products and not to products used in the workplace.
Consider
        electrical products that would otherwise be subject to the Low
Voltage
        Directive but operate below the lower voltage limits of the
directive. The
        safety of such products intended for use in the workplace are
subject only
        to non-harmonized national regulations concerning worker safety. Do
these
        national regulations make the assumption that such equipment must
comply
        with the applicable essential requirements that are normally
associated
        with
        equipment covered by the LVD?

        Richard Woods