If you trace down the location of the breakdown, I'll bet you'll find spacing
violations there.
There is a pretty good margin built into the dielectric strength tests. I often
go
well beyond the test limits on type tests just to find the weak spots and
assure a
margin for production tests. (Complete your type testing first and then it
doesn't
matter what you do to the product). Sometimes I find overlooked spacing
violations,
usually due to workmanship problems like solder or part orientation.

Bob