APPLICABLE STANDARD
     NFPA-72 available from National Fire Protection Association, Quincey
     Mass.  I also recommend the National Fire Alarm Code Handbood also
     published by NFPA - it is more user-friendly.

     REQUIREMENTS
     output:    85dBA of 10 ft (3m)
     temporal pattern: triple burst as follows
     0.5s ON
     0.5s OFF
     0.5s ON
     0.5s OFF
     0.5s ON
     1.5s OFF
     {repeat]

     NFPA-72 has more detail regarding chimes, light- and tactile signals
     for hearing impaired and interaction of signals from other alarms in
     the building.  There are also requirements for connection to a control
     panel, tamper etc. which apply to a complete alarm system.

     David Sterner
     Alarm Device Manufacturing Co.