From: Andrews, Kurt [mailto:kandr...@tracewell.com]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2000 11:04 AM
To: EMC-PSTC
Subject: Safety testing for 48 VDC powered ITE Equipment

I'm looking for information as to what is required as far as safety testing
for a piece of 48 VDC powered ITE Equipment. All outputs will be 12 VDC or
less. This is a commercial unit and will not be sold to consumers.

In Europe it would fall outside the scope of the LVD as it starts at 75V for
DC powered equipment and this will be powered by 48 VDC.

Does anyone know if there any other safety standards required in Europe for
this type of equipment?

It does appear that safety testing and listing is required by OSHA for use
in a U.S. workplace. According to OSHA Standard 1910 Subpart S all "electric
utilization equipment" is required to be "approved" which in most cases
means Listing by a NRTL. In 1920.399 OSHA defines "electric utilization
equipment" as equipment which uses electrical energy for mechanical,
chemical, heating, lighting, or similar useful purpose. My interpretation of
this is that any equipment which uses electricity, AC or DC, would need to
be tested and Listed.

Is my interpretation of the OSHA requirements correct?

What about requirements for Canada?

Any insights into these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kurt Andrews
Compliance Engineer
Tracewell Systems, Inc.