William,

I beleive that EN 50081-2 and EN50082-2 were among the "original" standards
for CE marking.  When enforcement of the EMC Directive went in place on 1
January 1996, these standards were already in place.  As such, it isn't any
suprise to me that they don't supercede any other standards.  There wasn't
anything before them to supercede. (As far as CE marking goes.)

However, since both standards are "Generic", they have covered a wide
variety of equipment.  As enforcement of the EMC Directive has continued,
more product specific standards are being ratified.   Much of the equipment
covered by these new product specific standards used to be covered by
Generic Standards.  This means that the Generic Standards are being listed
as the "superceded" standards by a number of product specific standards,
such as EN 61000-6-2.

So, there you have it.  The Generic Standards don't supercede anything
because they were in place from the start of EMC Directive enforcement.
Now,  whether a Generic Standard is "superceded" or "in effect" depends upon
whether your product falls within the scope of a product specific standard.
The Generic Standard may be "superceded" by a product family standard for
one product while still being "in effect" for another product.

Hope this helps,

Your brother in compliance,

Chris Maxwell, Design Engineer
GN Nettest Optical Division