From: Grant, Tania (Tania) <tgr...@lucent.com>
To: Benoit Nadeau <bnad...@ieee.org>; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
<emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>; 'jim_bac...@mail.monarch.com'
<jim_bac...@mail.monarch.com>
Date: Friday, May 12, 2000 7:41 PM
Subject: RE: Heat sink temperature rise

Benoit,

The heatsink is a part;--  whether it is Operator Accessible or only
Serviceman Accessible depends upon the cognizant choice of the manufacturer
and the design of the PC.  If that particular area where the IC and heatsink
are located is NOT in an Operator Accessible area, then you shouldn't have
to worry about the heatsink temperature.

If this area IS accessible to any and all, I would highly recommend that you
run some temperature tests of the heatsink to determine just how  hot it
gets.    Depending upon the results, you may discover that you just
reclassified this area from Accessible to NON-ACCESSIBLE!   Either that, or
you are forced with a re-design.

For Serviceman only accessibility, and depending upon the heatsink
temperature, you might be able to get away with a WARNING label near the
heatsink, to protect the Serviceman.   However,  if he/she have to get their
hands in there and will have to touch the heatsink while performing
servicing activities and the temperature is still hazardous to the skin,
then you will still need to prevent physical access to that heatsink.   (Get
a bigger heatsink, if you have the room!)

My personal opinion is that "hot" heatsinks should NOT be accessible to
anyone.   If it is too hot to touch, the heatsink is not doing the job, and
the IC will probably have a short life.

Tania Grant, tgr...@lucent.com <mailto:tgr...@lucent.com>
Lucent Technologies, Intelligent Network Unit
Messaging Solutions Group