        From:   Martin Rowe (TMW) [SMTP:m.r...@ieee.org]
        Sent:   Friday, March 24, 2000 9:54 AM
        To:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
        Subject:        The wisdom behind all these standrads

        I've been reading messages from this list for several months,
        and I see many questions about how to comply with the long list
        of EMC standards. Yet, I can't recall anyone ever questioning
        the appropriateness of any standard. That is, should the
        standand add value to a product or to those who use it? Is it
        that the EMC engineer's place is not to question the wisdom of a
        standard's value, but simply to make products with those
        standards, whether or not we agree with the intent of those
        standards? That's not to say that these regulations are bad.
        Maybe they're good because they make the world a better place
        for those who use electronic products.

        Just wondering.