Here in San Diego, our HV problem is just the opposite; that is, the noise
is low during the long period of dry weather, then, when we get a foggy
night, the moisture collects in the dusty coating on the insulators. I
believe that the overhead distribution lines in residential areas are about
12KV (not the final distribution leg, which is two wires, each 120 V above
ground and 240 V line-to-line). On a quiet and foggy night, you can hear a
sound like frying bacon coming from the pole tops.

The local power company has a crew which cleans the insulators with a blast
of distilled water from a truck-mounted nozzle. The power company is more
concerned about lost power and fire hazard than RF noise, but the result is
lowered RF noise.

Ed

:-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-):-)
Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA.  USA
858-505-2780 (Voice)
858-505-1583 (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis