From: Gary McInturff [mailto:gmcintu...@telect.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2000 12:05 PM
To: 'lfresea...@aol.com'; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: EMC Test Conditions

Derek,
        I think I have said this before, but the ultimate responsibility for
compliance is yours not the test house. Their responsibility is to have
equipment, staff, and procedures that allow them to make reliable and
repeatable tests, in accordance with the test certification documents. In
addition to that, as a customer service they can  provide you with the
latest in information or technical opinions. Sometimes these roles get
confused and the test house assumes more responsibility than they really
have, you certainly can understand why, they are trying to protect their
reputation. But when in conflict use your own judgement.
The test house can protect their accreditation and reputation by making
whatever disclaimers they want about the test setup - but not how the test
compares to the published limits. They can for example, state that while the
test sample was measured to be under the required limits they are
uncomfortable with the test set-up and they cannot assure the 90% upper
confidence level with this arrangement, or something to that affect. In fact
if they are following guide 25 for laboratories (part of their required
documentation for certification)  they actually have, but may not know it, a
process for documenting customer and test discrepancies and problems.
        Given the number of possible set-ups and equipment operation and
configuration there is ample room for reasonable and knowledgeable people to
disagree. But when push comes to shove it is your responsibility to insure
conformance, and you and your company will be the ones paying fines,
removing or retrofitting equipment etc, not the test house.
        If you are convinced of your position and have listened carefully to
what the test guys are telling you do as you see fit and let the test house
make its comments in the test file. Then live with the consequences.
        Just an opinion
        Gary