950 creepage experts-

When applying Annex F, Fig. F.1 (narrow groove) and
Fig. F.2 (wide groove), requirements to PWB's, does
one have to abide by the minimum "value of X" only for
grooves, or also for slots punched all the way through
the PWB?  It makes sense that if a groove is
particularly narrow, a small accumulation of
contamination would negate any creepage gained from
having the groove.

However, what about a slot that goes completely
through the board? Would contamination not collect in
a slot as it would in a groove, and therefore the slot
can be any width (therefore forcing the creepage
measurement to be made around the edge of the slot)?

We're thinking of an application between pins of an
SMD multi-pin telco isolation transformer package:
adjacent pins and their solder pads don't meet the
required creepage, but if we punch slots through the
PWB between pads, can we then measure our creepage
around the edge of the slot? In this way we can create
as much creepage as we need by simply lengthening the
slot.

We're thinking of punching a slot about 0.2-0.3mm wide
between solder pads, of sufficient length to give us
the required creepage.

Any comments? Anyone know the history and rationale of
this Annex F "X" requirement and can comment? Thanks,
folks.

Dirk