----------
From: Paul Paroff
To: Darrell Locke
Subject: RE: Correlating sine sweep with random vibration
Date: Friday, January 21, 2000 9:22AM

To add my voice to the many, there is no agreed upon correlation between
sine sweep and random vibration. A paper written by Phil Rogers of
Unholtz-Dickie Corp. and Shams Jawaid of Quantum Corp. to be presented at
next week's RAMS conference may shed some light on the difference. The
authors measured Grms vs time in miliseconds while the pneumatic table (as
found in HALT chambers) was set to 1 G. The graph shows that to achieve a
time averaged value of 1 G the table is exposed to up to 50 G spikes at
approximately 30 ms intervals. So there doesn't seem to be the true
equivalent of a sine sweep. I do agree with your opinion that if something
can survive at 60 G on a random vibe table it should pass a 1 G sine sweep.
However, you may have to go to an outside lab to satisfy your customer's
requirement. Or, if budget is an issue, I bet you could swap some HALT
chamber time for some ED shaker time with a neighboring company.

Paul Paroff
Reliability Engineer
Advanced Input Devices