The difference is the transition region.

Simplified expression of transition region is lambda/2pi.  At some number of
wavelengths above this point the propagation roll-off is linear, i.e., 20
dB/decade.  Well below 30 MHz, near field phenomena are encountered.  Also,
antenna configurations may influence measurements.  Near field effects can
make the roll off be as high as 60 dB/decade, and with a phase canceling
antenna even higher -- but you have to prove it.  So the FCC gives you 40
dB/decade "for free".  If you want more, you need to present the
measurements and calculations substantiating higher roll-offs.

This is probably more than you asked for; hope it helped.

Don Umbdenstock

.