Tania has summed up the situation pretty well below, one that I can
certainly relate to.

What existed in my last company were:

Procedures - to describe the high level policy;
Work Instructions - for very specific, and sometimes critical (but not
necessarily), usually repetitive tasks.

Having separate WI's (1 or 2 pages at most) meant that they could be easily
updated when required without loads of reviews by people at all levels of
the organisation, because the Procedures were not being updated unless there
was a significant policy change.

But.....
While I agree that training people on the 'how' while also giving them the
backgorund on the 'why' can achieve the goal (for the Regulatory function at
least, which is what should really be talking about here), there must be
documented in at least one place the procedure and work instructions i.e.
the training manuals. Yes, by the letter of the gospel (ISO 9000:2000) there
are only really 6 or 7 procedures that must be documented and 9000:2000
espouses the use of 'verbal procedures', but this will only work in very
small companies which probably won't have a Regulatory Group anyway ....

Trained people move on.

The 'procedures' go with them.

Brian