Hi all,

John Crabb asked me about my previous response (see below).  He brings
up some points that I don't have experience with.  I wasn't sure how to
answer it.  I was hoping that someone else could address his concern.

For our AC powered equipment, we have never needed to add varistors,
MOV's, sidactors, TVS's ... to the AC mains for surge protection.  The
existing input filter (which carries its own safety approvals) has been
sufficient.    So... I have never run into the component restriction
that John points out below.  If anybody else has, maybe they could
address John's question better than I?

However, we have used Sidactors, TVSs and/or MOVs on signal lines and
Telecom lines with good results.   The only major problems that we have
had are due to mismatch between power dissipation specs for a fuse and
MOV in a telecom circuit.  There were some instances where the MOV would
burn before the fuse would blow during "power cross" testing.

Chris