From: robertj [mailto:robe...@ma.ultranet.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 9:12 AM
To: 'Bill Owsley'; 'Gary McInturff'; 'Gregg Kervill'; 'Rich Nute'
Cc: jrbar...@lexmark.com; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: Define Continuous DC Voltage - defibrillation

I also have not encountered the theory about chest compression controlling
fibrillation. Since defibrillation is also controlled during open heart
surgery by paddles directly applied to the heart and through the use of wire
catheters from implantable defibrillators, it is not the only means.
I thought it might be interesting to describe the heart function in
electrical terms since that is the basis of understanding for most of us in
this group.

Heart muscle can be viewed as a simple free running flip-flop oscillator.
When cut into pieces, each piece of heart muscle will automatically fire
(contract) at its own natural rate. It can be triggered earlier by input
from neighboring tissue. Once it fires, it goes through a relaxation stage
when it is quite resistant to triggering by neighboring tissue. This firing
at a cellular level is call depolarization. It is caused by the cell wall
suddenly becoming permeable to sodium and potassium ions and loosing its
charge (which of course is a current flow). The cell then takes time to
recharge by pumping ions back across the cell wall.

The master clock for the heart is the sinoatrial (SA) node (the sinus node
mentioned by Gary). This node sets the pace for the heart in response to
assorted hormone and brain inputs. It is located in the right atrium.
Remember the heart has four chambers. The right atrium is a collecting spot
for the returning blood and when it contracts, moves the blood next door to
the right ventricle. The right ventricle pumps into the lungs. The left
atrium holds returning oxygenated blood and pushes it into the left
ventricle which pumps into the rest of the body. Obviously the ventricles
are the workhorses.

When the sinoatrial node fires, a wave of depolarization spreads over both
atria (1/10 of a second), but is protected from reaching the ventricles by a
layer of insulation. At the base of the right atrium it reaches the
atrioventricular (AV) node. This is a delay line (another 1/10 of a second)
and passes the signal to the left and right bundle branches which are
special conductors to get the signal quickly to all parts of the ventricles.
The AV delay provides the time for the atria to finish filling the
ventricles before the much more significant contraction of the ventricles.

Since all these conductors are live tissues, injury or irritation, depending
on where it occurs, can cause all sorts of problems like fast or slow
rhythms, lack of coordination of atria and ventricles, etc. One solution is
implantable pacemakers which in their simplest forms electrically trigger
the ventricles (the atria are left to themselves since they are not as
important).

Fibrillation occurs when something (like electric shock or irritation)
triggers a piece of heart muscle. This in turn triggers neighboring cells.
Unfortunately when the coordinated signal arrives from elsewhere, the cells
which have just fired can't respond since they have not gone through their
refractory period. These misfired cells then wait (while other parts are
recovering) and having waited too long, fire on their own again. When
several locations of the heart are doing this, the heart just quivers
instead of making a coordinated pumping effort. The fix is to provide an
electrical jolt which doesn't bother with triggering, it just hits all the
cells with enough energy to force depolarization anyway. Then all cells
together go through their refractory period and are ready for a coordinated
trigger (if it still exists). This is why very high shock levels can avoid
causing fibrillation.

Defibrillators have come a long way from the old days when they just applied
a severe 60 cycle AC shock. These days they try to provide a minimal level
impulse coordinated with any residual heart beat to force the heart into
unified action. The impulse can be applied with external paddles, and now is
available as a built in part of implanted pacemakers so the impulse can be
applied directly to the heart using the pacing electrodes.

Bob Johnson