The second half of my article, "Designing Electronic Equipment for ESD
Immunity", has just been posted on Printed Circuit Design magazine's website.
The full article is now available on line:
*  Part 1 at    http://www.pcdmag.com/story/OEG20010928S0122
*  Part 2 at    http://www.pcdmag.com/redux/0701_esd.html

We used quite a few of the techniques described in this article during the
development of the Lexmark X820e MFP (Multi-Function Printer)-- see
http://www.lexmark.com/US/Products/printers/0,2792,MjM4OXwx,00.html

I designed the controller card (with a 100MHz 64-bit memory bus, 350MHz
processor, and 1051 other components on a 12.5" x 7.9" 6-layer card), which went
into production on the second spin of the card.  We have entered both my
controller card, and our scanner card for the X820e, in Mentor Graphics' 2002
PCB Technology Leadership Awards design competition.

I am scheduled to start a Pre-Retirement Leave of Absence from Lexmark in
February 2002.  One of the projects I have in mind, once I get away from working
massive overtime designing controller cards, is to flesh this article out into a
book.

Enjoy!

                                              John Barnes  Advisory Engineer
                                              Lexmark International