Us OLD guys used to think that digital was two levels of voltage - back then +5VDC and 0VDC. Thus DC could also mean Digital Computers. Way back then, the things did run relatively slow compared to these days so the AC signal you think of was only the step function of getting from one level to the next. In fact, we used to do that with switches on the front panel - manual clocks. These days, DC step functions happen faster than the settling time, leading to the appearance of AC looking signals.

- Bill