Group,

I pulled these from Cigital labs web site. A good first crack at definitions
that perhaps the "community" could agree on.  I am familiar with
MIL-HDBK-882C and have used it on several occasions to evaluate things that
go boom in a loud way.  This is generally considered "BAD" by those in close
proximity to the event.  The details are left to the skill and experience of
a competent safety engineer to ensure that those in close proximity are
"them" and not "us".

Safety-Critical
A term applied to a condition, event, operation, process, object, function
or system whose proper recognition, control, performance or tolerance is
essential to safe system operation or use; e.g., safety critical function,
safety critical path, safety critical component (882C).

Safety Circuit
A single, or a network of, simple circuit element(s) which are required to
function in the support or enabling of a safety function. Where a simple
circuit element is the mathematical model of a two terminal device, or
function, which cannot be further subdivided into other two-terminal
devices, or functions.

Best regards,

Daniel E. Teninty, P.E.
Managing Partner