Hi Andrew,
I have generically dealt with motherboard alternates and other pesky stuff
as well.
Nearly all motherboards I have seen employ a non-rechargeable primary type
lithium cell for CMOS backup, and all I have seen use a keyed receptacle
that prevents polarity reversal, along with a label or a bit of text in the
owner's manual on warnings and battery replacement.

The MFR's know about these requirements and enable their integrating
customers to gain certification by including these features in their
product's design.  They may or may not engage in the services of a safety
agency to gain formal certification, because this drives up the cost of
their product.  Its sort of a game they play with us...some Asian power
supply mfr's do this too.

For MB's that have no UL file number on them (that would indicate the pwb
and it's myriad of circuits are compliant to the 60950 standard. -primarily,
overload of user accessible connectors and flame rating of the PWB material)
you can perform the tests to produce data that indicates compliance.
(assuming you are a client test data certified lab)  Most MB's I have seen
have a UL or vendor logo marking on the board to indicate flame rating.  I
have, more than once, been forced to perform the battery charge protection
circuitry fault tests, but not on motherboards.
hmm,mm the aroma of roasting FR-4 and chip resistors in the morning...

You can save yourself some grief by selecting a MB that has a UL file number
on it and specifying that in your description.
Some agency engineers are skeptical of Asian products and demand test data.
Again, it depends on the confidence level you have with your agency folks.
I try to cultivate good relations with them.  It makes my life easier.

I like this replaceable secondary lithium battery backed CMOS memory IC that
ST makes.  It is UL recognized -no testing required.  We use a lot of those.

btw, cecil's email bounced, I think because any text in the 'subject' field
makes the server barf.
kyle