I have a simple idea to add to this, I'll make the point by analogy.

I listened to a book on tape one time.  The book was by an author who
wrote about investing, saving and other financial strategies.  He looked
at the habits of financially successful people and tried to find trends.
OK OK, I'm getting to it.  One trend that he found is that financially
successful people don't spend too much time trying to budget and predict
how much money they were going to spend.  But they did keep good records
of how much they spent, what they spent it for and where they spent it.
This knowledge allows them to "budget" almost as second nature, they
already know how much they spend and for what.  Also, if they stay "in
the black" they already have an idea of how much they can spend.

What's the point.  A good "prediction" system and any efforts to "fix",
"cost reduce" and/or speed up the compliance process needs to start with
good record keeping.  May I suggest a good old paper notebook.  Every
time I go into our compliance room here at the factory, or go with a
product to the test lab, I am armed with this notebook.  Everyday I use
it, I put the date and project at the top of the page.  I then use it to
record all sorts of notes...pass/fail, troubleshooting, we tried this,
we tried that...  I keep this notebooks labelled in my office.  I then
refer to them in my "neat" word processed compliance reports.

Keeping a lab notebook was one of the first ideas that they taught us in
college laboratory courses; I thought it was a pain in the $%#@** back
then.  But, whenever anyone asks me how long it took us to test a
product, how much time we spend troubleshooting (which is always
followed by the question of how long it will take for the next one); I
find these notebooks to be worth their weight in Gold.

Of course, for you electronics lovers out there, a laptop, palm pilot...
would possibly work.  I don't use them because I find them restrictive.
When I'm in the lab, I need to draw block diagrams, to make sketches, to
take notes.  I really haven't found a hardware/software combination in a
laptop or palmtop that works as quickly or as well as good old "pencil
CAD".

Stay compliant guys

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797
8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |

..