Hmmm,

Interesting point.  I agree with Ken's assesment for the most part.
Setting a minimum level for marketability levels the playing field
(which governments like).  But they lend the same customer credibility
to the minimally compliant as the super compliant (which consumers may
or may not like).  It also lessens the incentive to innovate (which
engineers hate).

Perhaps a ranking system could be used similar to that used for crash
testing automobiles.

Any car that meets the government's minimum crash test rating can be
sold.  However, there are now "star" ratings given out for cars that
meet and exceed the requirements.  Anybody in the US who hasn't lived in
a cave knows that the Ford Windstar has a "5 Star" crash test rating.
It's screamed all over the TV in commercials about 25 times a night.
There you have it, an incentive for not only meeting the standards, but
beating it.

Maybe a sliding scale could be created that tracks the state of the art
(compliance wise).  Equipment could then be certified as level 1, level
2 ... up to level 5 "5 Star" if you want.  Then, companies that meet and
exceed the safety, emissions or immunity standard could claim "5 Star
emissions compliance" or "5 star safety compliance"...

If the scale is adjusted from time to time; when a company improves
compliance performance, they would then raise the bar for the rest of
the world.

Interesting discussion.  Got to get back to the ball and chain

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797
8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |