I read in !emc-pstc that Ken Javor <ken.ja...@emccompliance.com> wrote
(in <20011101170447.RTSO12020.femail23.sdc1.sfba.home.com@[65.11.150.27]
>) about 'Have we lost something?  was John Woodgate - RE: New EMC
standards; now CISPR24/EN55024 query', on Thu, 1 Nov 2001:

>My opinion only.

No, it is shared by a significant number of others.

> There was a time when the reputation of a manufacturer or
>business in general was a very important part of the success of that
>company, and the honesty and integrity of that company, extending to high
>quality products, was the major part of a good reputation.  That is part of
>a free-market economy.  The rationale behind immunity standards (indeed,
>gov't enforced emission standards) is that the free-market place does not
>work and it is more efficient to impose external political control.

It doesn't work well for consumer electronic products, because the
purchasers would not understand claims of, for example, superior EMC
performance. In fact, in the present paranoid atmosphere about
'radiation', even a mention of EMC terminology might provoke mass panic!

>  This is
>untrue a priori but becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy: once you impose
>rigid governmental standards industry-wide, there is nothing to be gained by
>exceeding the standard performance and everything to be gained by finding
>ways to meet these limits in the most cost-effective way.  In effect,
>industry-wide standards tend to make what might have been a unique product
>into a commodity to be purchased from the lowest priced vendor.  In this
>way, gov't imposed standards are are an assault on the integrity of the
>marketplace and ultimately justify their imposition by destroying the
>integrity that previously existed, while destroying the perception of
>individual integrity on the part of the consumer.

Your argument is far less easy to counter if you restrict it to
'professional' equipment, for which the purchasers may be assumed to
understand the technical specification of the product. EN55103-2 imposes
no immunity limits, it simply specifies methods of measurement and
requires the manufacturer to disclose the immunity performance of the
product.
Eat mink and be dreary!