From: lcr...@tuvam.com [mailto:lcr...@tuvam.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 12:27 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Definition for Safety Critical Component

All,

Does anyone have a concise definition of Safety Critical Component?

I understand that the definition of this term is highly dependent on
context, so let me frame it a bit....

I am interested in the components that may be in "high-tech" industrial
equipment such as those used in the semiconductor manufacturing industry.

And as for "regulatory space" I am considering the typical application of
electrical design standards such as EN 60204, NFPA 79, ULK 508, EN 61010 as
well as similar standards that may address the design of pneumatic,
mechanical and process chemical delivery systems.

I am also considering three potential populations.
Operators - who interact with the tool only to get it to perform its
intended function (this group can also include 'passers by'

Maintenance personnel - who work with the tool to perform prescribed, well
document procedures intended to keep the tool in good working order.

Service personnel - who do anything necessary to get a broken tool back into
operating condition.

Thanks for any ideas.

-Lauren Crane
TUV America / TUV Product Service