From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of Jon Griver
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2001 2:07 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: FDA & FCC

This is not quite the whole story.

Medical devices must get FDA approval, including EMC aspects. However,
medical equipment is also subject to FCC regulations.

FCC Part 15 exempts medical equipment (Sec 15.103), though it is still
subject to the general requirements of the FCC in that devices found to
cause interference can be stopped from operating.

Medical devices that intentionally use EM radiation are subject to FCC Part
18. This includes ultrasound equipment, diathermy equipment, microwave
therapeutic devices.

Regards,

Jon Griver
http://www.601help.com - The Medical Device Developers' Guide to IEC 60601-1