Just have to jump in here with personal experience:

In our bedroom we have a deLonghi radiator heater which uses an extension
cord (high cost UL approved) heavy guage #12 wire to power it - when it's
used.  This extension cord plugs into a "multi outlet" adapter, also heavy
duty UL approved.  At the time of the incident there was no power being used
from this outlet.

I was in another room, my wife was sitting on the edge of the bed watching a
news blurb on TV when she heard a funny sound, a scritch, scritch.   She
called to me to come listen.  Scritch, scritch, scritch got louder.  As I
arrived, flames started lapping up the wall from the outlet while still
making arcing sounds.  The flames were less than 6 inches from curtains.  I
reached into all this and unplugged the extension cord which luckily stopped
the fireworks display.  Imagine, if we had not been there.

Upon examination, it appeared that an arc had formed between the blades of
the extension cord (remember no power at the time).  That arc was not
sufficient to drop the 15A breaker to the outlet, yet was sufficient to
carbonize the UL approved material which further sustained the arc.

I posted this to the newsgroup alt.home.repair where a fireman jumped in
describing how this exact mechanism is what starts most home fires!  Isn't
that an encouraging thought!

Anyway, a little damn fuse in the plug would not have helped in this
circumstance, complete waste of time, much like the main breaker was.

                                         - Robert -

       Robert A. Macy, PE    m...@california.com
       408 286 3985              fx 408 297 9121
       AJM International Electronics Consultants
       619 North First St,   San Jose, CA  95112