Hi Robert:

>   I got two NAV (Norton Antivirus) msgs back from the ieee.org that said my
>   attachment had a virus in it.
>
>   If so, please let me know, because there is nothing but text files (that I
>   know of) and a simple batch program in that attachment.

The IEEE listserver checks all messages for viruses
before sending them to our subscribers.

Your files that were sent to subscribers were zipped.
I checked both the zipped and unzipped files for
viruses (with up-to-date Norton AV, 7.03, scan engine
4.1.0.2, virus definition file 31017e) and found no
viruses.  So, the file distributed by the IEEE server
seems to be clean.

So, it may be that the IEEE server removed the virus,
forwarded the message to our subscribers, and notified
you of the virus.

Good luck, and best regards,
Rich

Richard Nute