        From:   KC CHAN [PDD] [SMTP:kcc...@hkpc.org]
        Sent:   Sunday, September 09, 2001 8:52 PM
        To:     pronc...@cisco.com; james_al...@milgo.com
        Cc:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
        Subject:        RE: STP vs FTP Ethernet cables (2)

        I guess this 150 ohms is from the combination of the 100 ohm
characteristic impedance and the 50 ohm output form equipment, like the
power amplifier for conducted immunity test.

        >>> "Allan, James" <james_al...@milgo.com> 09/07/01 09:03pm >>>

        Paolo:  Try this link to Quabbin wire company.  It is a product
selector
        guide with the types of wire used for different applications.  All
Ethernet
        applications are 100 ohm characteristic impedance and only have
overall
        shields if shielded. Telecom cable (T1, DSL etc.) if shielded, are
also 100
        ohm but the shield (if present) is over the individual wire pairs
with no
        overall shield. I find no reference to standard Ethernet cable at
150 ohms.

        LINK     http://www.quabbin.com/finder/finder.cgi?cmd=app_form

        Jim Allan
        Manager, Engineering Services