I read in !emc-pstc that George, David L <george.da...@unisys.com> wrote
(in <3B10FF0A008FF6458711E6E375E830412C16A6@USTR-
EXCH2.na.uis.unisys.com>) about 'CE test suite for computers', on Mon,
27 Aug 2001:
>John:
>After all your years on the committee and having heard all the technical
>arguments, I am surprised the committee is still trying to justify the
>additional costs on each product?  If the power system is so bad it can be
>fixed cheaply for the consumer once and for 30+ years by changing the
>infrastructure.  No electronic product lasts 30 years and the cost is
>multiplied each time it is replaced.

Well, of course I am aware of your views and that particular economic
point. No doubt it will be taken into account by IEC SC77A/WG1/TF5a, on
which the ESI experts are in the minority.

>The bottom line is data now proves the European power system is very good

I am also aware of that data collection exercise, which indeed is strong
evidence. OTOH, I have the evidence of my own eyes and measurements
here. The mains waveform is very visibly 'flat-topped' and the THD
exceeds 4% on occasions (summer Sunday evenings, when almost all the
load is TV sets and home PCs; we still have very few home air-
conditioners). With regard to voltage changes and flicker, my own
experience is that DIY arc-welders can be a problem, but I don't see
much problem with anything else. This is largely reflected in the
relaxed limits in the still-unpublished (and largely unpublicised)
'other' Millennium Amendment - to IEC/EN61000-3-3.

>and these two standards are unnecessary but the standards makers (power
>utility people)

As I wrote above, the ESI people are now in the minority of *attendees*
at the relevant meetings; they also point out that according to the
*membership lists* they have always been in the minority compared to
experts from equipment manufacturing, but not all members attended the
meetings before 1998, when IEC/TC74 realised what was happening, as I
realised in 1991.

>still insist in spite of proof, their systems are not so
>good.  In their view this is why we need limits on products and the power
>distribution system need not be fixed.

There is also a major problem at political level, insofar as all the ESI
companies in European countries where the system has been, or will be,
privatized, are subject to very strict (and somewhat uninformed)
financial control by government Regulators. The ESI is not being allowed
to finance its own harmonic mitigation, except in unusual circumstances.

Information has come to hand that these Regulators are not even in
favour of site-level harmonic mitigation, partly in case it allows some
'polluter' to avoid paying for the 'pollution', and regard equipment-
level control as the Only Solution. Compared with this mantra-oriented
attitude, the ESI people are pussy-cats (now!).
Eat mink and be dreary!