Greetings all,

Sorry for the late reply - summer   :o)
  I have done some work with cell phones and have found that certain
digital bands cause much greater interference than others.
Specifically, I had reason to measure emissions of phones from several
well known but unnamed dual band and tri-band cell phone brands.  Across
brands, a certain mode of digital operation caused the phones to be
about 10-15 dB above the class A limits from 40 MHz all the way to 1 GHz
(isolated, but MANY frequencies - not continuous broadband).  Granted,
this pales by 20+dB in contrast to the fundamental, but I still found it
amazing that a 4 inch long device could emit those levels of RF at
frequencies around 40 MHz.  I forget which band (normal 800 MHz digital
or 1800(?) MHz GSM) caused the most interference, but the operation in
the other band & analog was dead quiet except for the transmitter
related signals (very few centered about the fundamental).  For some of
the phones I tested, there were setup options that allowed modes to be
locked out if one knew the codes.

BTW in case anyone is wondering, these levels are acceptable for cell
phones.

  Perhaps this contractor's phone was only capable of (or software
limited to) operation in the 'quiet' mode of operation above?  (or just
happened to be in that mode of operation at the time of "test"?)  This
might constitute  an "approved for CO use" phone.

  Regardless, every piece of CO equipment (at least owned by the RBOC)
should be immune to 9.8 or so V/m signals and any exceptions should be
known by the CO administrators as such information is included in a NEBS
report (Immunity to 10V/m is a conditional requirement only - I believe
1.7 V/m is the Requirement but any malfunctions from 1.7 < level < 10
V/m must be noted in the report with frequencies, symptoms, and minimum
susceptibility levels).  If the phone was tested, it could have been
checked to ensure that it was not emitting high levels of RF at these
sensitive frequencies - basically ensuring that the maximum ambient for
the equipment in the CO was not exceeded.  Any competetive co-located
equipment is up in the air for immunity, but I'm sure the Bells don't
care to take precautionary measures on those (realistically, at least -
I'm sure it's not policy but they certainly don't ask for RF immunity
data on such equipment).

Best regards,
Dave Heald