From: owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
[mailto:owner-emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org]On Behalf Of
don_macart...@selinc.com
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 2:13 PM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Manufacturing Hipot Testing

Dear Group:

A Hipot standard which we must run for CE compliance requires that
circuit-to-circuit and circuit-to-ground testing be performed on a routine
basis.  The test is applied for 10s.  The products I deal with have many
circuits (Inputs, outputs, etc.) so test time is excessive .  To speed test
time
the standard allows for grouping of similar circuits and decreasing the test
time to 1s (with increased voltage).  There is a problem with the grouping
method because faults between circuits in the group are masked.

A better way of performing dielectric strength testing would be to automate
process where each individual circuit is hipot tested to ground for 1
second.
The problem is that this method doesn't match what the CE standard requires.

Some of you have probably been in similar circumstances.  What did you do?
What
do you suggest?  Do I meet the standard no matter the cost?  What is the
risk of
having my CE Mark pulled and perhaps my company sued if I do not meet the
entire
standard?

Regards,
Don MacArthur