Hi all,

I don't think you need to read any papers on the subject, unless you
really need gory details.   It's a fairly simple idea.

The reason shock can be mistaken for vibration and vice versa is due to
the fact that most shocks are from AC power.  When you get shocked by
AC, your nerves get a 60 cycle (or 50 cycle) AC stimulus.  If it doesn't
kill you, it feels like a tingle or buzz or vibration.  The
tingling/buzzing/vibration sensation is also probably increased by the
fact that tiny muscles near the shock site will spasm (I believe the
medical term is a "fascillation") with the AC voltage.  A 50 cycle or
60cycle vibration would feel very similar.

Not all shocks feel like vibrations.  For instance an electric fence
used for cattle uses a capacitor discharge mechanism which results in a
quick, exponentially decaying, discharge. (much like ESD)  I know from
personal experience that touching such a fence feels nothing like a
vibration.  It feels more like a a jolt, sort of like having every
muscle in your body contract and getting a migraine headache for about
half a second,  then it's gone, leaving you in a cold sweat with your
heart pounding.  Steve Irwin (Of TV's "Crocodile Hunter") would probably
say "Whoooooo-hoooooo, what a rush!".  I used to say "%$^&*($$$@@@ ----
next time I'll let my brother open the gate to get the cows!"

There's no mistaking that for a vibration!  I would imagine that
lightning would feel nothing like a vibration either.  But I really
don't want to find out.

Another example to think about is the old "9V battery on the tongue"
test.  If you put a 9V battery on your tongue, it feels like a constant
burning sensation, no vibration feeling, because it's DC.

Chris