I have had similar experience.  Not experimenting with LCD's themselves, but
testing products with LCD's.   Most of the ones that I have experience with
have a metal back plate.  It seems that it's important to bond this plate
peripherally to your casework shielding.  That keeps the circuits behind the
display from radiating around it.  It doesn't seem as though the displays
themselves (in my limited experience) cause much trouble at all, even with
Class B stuff.

We once experimented with ITO (Indium Tin Oxide) coatings on the display
window to  see if it would lower emissions.  It didn't, but it did increase
cost.  We bagged it.   As a side comment, it seems like ITO is conductive
enough for static dissipation, but not for shielding.  So, if you ever did
need to shield an LCD, you would probably be limited to windows that use
metallic mesh sandwiches.

Chris Maxwell
Design Engineer -
NetTest Optical Division