A question to the group:
Referencing the Medical Device Directive, Annex I, paragraph 13.3 The label
must bear the following particulars: (l), "year of manufacture for active
devices other than those covered by (e). This indication may be included in
the batch or serial number".
One of my colleagues (in another company) was told by their Notified Body
(BSI) that it has been interpreted (by whom?) that this means the month and
year needs to be embedded into the actual serial number, such as XXZZ00001
whereas XX: month and ZZ: year (or similar).
We have never encountered this with our Notified Body (TUV). Our S/N's cross
back to a SN log which will reveal the month and year of manufacture.
Who is right? Does anyone know where this "official" interpitation is coming
from? The rational behind it?
Thank You

Dick Grobner
Medical Graphics Corporation