From: Chris Maxwell [mailto:chris.maxw...@nettest.com]
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2001 4:58 AM
To: 'Tania Grant'; emc-p...@ieee.org
Subject: RE: Hot Swappable Power Supplies ?

I'm curious...

How is in-rush current handled for these connectors?

Seems like it would be somewhat easy to specify that a connector is good for
hot swapping a device that draws "X" Amps of current.

It's the in-rush that would be hard to quantify.  One device that draws "X"
Amps of current could draw "2X" in-rush current, while another device that
draws "X"  Amps of current could draw "50X" in-rush current.   I have seen
instances where large in-rush currents can burn connector contacts or even
weld relay contacts together.

Are the connectors rated for steady state only?  Are they rated for steady
state and maximum in-rush?  If they are rated for steady state, is a maximum
in-rush assumed?  Or, alternatively are the power supplies already required
to be in-rush limited.

I know curiosity killed the cat, but it also improved its quality of life.

Chris

    http://www.rcic.com/      click on "Virtual Conference Hall,"