From: John Woodgate
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 9:13 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: Re: You won't believe this ... Well, maybe you will.

<002501c0f905$794dabe0$3e3e3...@corp.auspex.com>, Doug McKean
<dmck...@corp.auspex.com> inimitably wrote:
>1.  Have any you ever run into something
>     like this before?
>
>2. If you have, what did you do about it?

I would say that a safety standard that specifies a cfm rating for a fan
is a badly-drafted standard. I would press to get the standard changed.

What matters for safety is the temperature that parts can reach. If they
are OK, under both normal and fault conditions, the equipment should
pass.

This is an example of a fundamental principle of prescriptive
standardization:

1. If possible, specify performance: it's what matters and is usually
easy to verify.

2. If it isn't possible/practicable to verify performance (e.g. if long-
term durability is involved), specify construction.

3. If it isn't possible/practicable to specify construction (e.g.
because many constructions would be satisfactory), specify design.

In this case, specifying performance - temperature rises under normal
and fault conditions - is the normal practice. Specifying the cfm is
specifying design, and there seems no good reason for that.
--
Regards, John Woodgate, OOO - Own Opinions Only. Phone +44 (0)1268 747839
Fax +44 (0)1268 777124. http://www.jmwa.demon.co.uk Why not call a vertically-