Let's not carried away (in a box - as an innocent victim of a catastrophic
EMC event) is precisely Kyle's point.

Originally, domestic and commercial EMC emissions standards were created to
minimize broadcast reception interference.  More recently, a much needed
awareness on increasing the immunity of electronic systems to the massive
amounts of EMC polution that exists in our increasingly complex society has
thankfully made its way into the standards arena.  Military and civil
avionics are similarly regulated.

Notwithstanding, international aviation regulatory authorities require
management of personal electronics during "critical phases" of a commercial
aircraft's flight.  (I might ask is there really a non-critical aspect of
flight when either accelerating down the runway, in flight at any height, or
decelerating to a standstill?)

Immunity standards define electric field stengths between 1 and 10 V/m.
Clearly these levels are certainly far more severe than the fields created
by a just compliant class B product at 3 meter separation; 40 dBuV versus
120 dBuV.  Take into account a simple 10 dB distance compensation for a
reduced 1 meter separation between a laptop and wiring harness installed
under floor or overhead and add to it the "30 dB in excess of the limit" as
called out in this thread and the protection margin is significantly
reduced.

Is this a problem?  Frankly, I don't know the answer.  But it is my belief
that our silence should not condone accepting a 30 dB error margin.

A cell phone does intentionally emit at levels more closely approximating to
the immunity thresholds.  A waiting room sharing a wall with a consultation
office might just provide a scenario where an instantaneous measurement
could be recorded artificially high or low with a potentially disastrous
outcome either way; preventative action not taken or mis-applied.

I, for one, would not want to have my life put at risk by dependence on
poorly enforced requirements such as notices or requests to turn off
electronic emitters - be they intentional or unintentional.  While 98% of
the population acts responsibly, it is always the 2% who cause all of the
problems with their selfish disregard for those around them.  Cell phone
anecdotes are plentiful.  Ever been seated in an aircraft where the person
in front of you reclines their seat immediately on take-off when the
attendants can't notice?  Is that laptop actually switched off?  (Ever seen
a loaded 18 wheel semi less than a car's length away at 65 mph?)   Hmmm

(BTW, I really do enjoy flying and always try to get a good window seat to
delight at the view below me.  SFO to DFW routed over Southern Utah is
awesome on a clear day!)

Terry Whitehouse
Avaya Regulatory Milpitas
(408) 577-7714