Hi all,

Most immunity standards that I've seen (I work from EN 61326-1 in
particular) specify a requirement for "Line to Line" and "Line to Ground"
surges on the AC power lines.  Typically, the line to ground test limit is
twice as high as the line to line test limit.

What is typically done with ungrounded products?  Is it.

Choice A:  All combinations of Line to Line and Line to Ground are tested
even though the unit does not connect to the ground pin?

Choice B:  Only Line to Line surges are applied?

I've read through EN 50142 (the BS version of IEC 1000-4-5); and it really
doesn't specify either way.

My basic instincts tell me that choice B is correct because, if there's no
ground connection to complete the line-ground surge circuit; then there's no
surge .

But, one could reason that choice A is correct by saying that in real life,
ungrounded products will be subjected to line to ground surge potentials
even if they don't connect to ground.  Such products, if poorly designed
could have an insulation breakdown between line and ground under the surge
potential, or they could be affected by the common mode components of the
surge.

Anybody care to help interpret, reason out or better yet, quote chapter and
verse from a standard that would answer this question?

Thanks,

!!!!!!!!!PLEASE NOTE THE NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!!!!!!!!
Chris Maxwell
Design Engineer
NetTest
6 Rhoads Drive, Building 4