Well, I haven't seen anybody weigh in on this yet, so here goes.

First of all, Li-Ion batteries have tremendous energy density. I recently
watched some videos of Li-Ion cells failing an overcharge test, and it was
really impressive. These things looked like a roman candle going off ! They
would make great highway flares. So here's my advice and hopefully I can
answer some of your questions.

1. Vent. Period. If a cell vents inside your device, the pressure build up
inside your battery pack enclosure could be tremendous if an adequate
venting mechanism is not provided.

2. In addition to providing reliable overcharge, overvoltage, & reverse
polarity protection, consider controlling the maximum discharge current as
well. With today's cells, most (probably all) incorporate a PTC device built
into the cell to interrupt excessive current. I personally would not
recommend relying solely on this protective device alone. However, that
built-in device will allow you to pass the rapid discharge test of clause
4.3.21 (UL1950 3rd Ed. reference), where you must defeat any current or
voltage limiting device in the battery load circuit.

3. Protection circuits for Li-Ion are typically based on an IC controller
along with some discreet components making up the circuit. Last time I dealt
with getting a Li-Ion pack approved, that IC is not UL recognized, and we
could not find any control chips that are. Expect to be asked by the test
house to provide technical assistance in determining worst-case faults in
that circuit, so that they can ensure the safety of that control circuit
under any conceivable single fault condition. Expect the test house to focus
more on the battery and associated control circuits than anything else in
your portable device, just as they might focus more on the primary side of
an AC supply. The greatest energy source, and greatest safety hazard, in
your product will be the battery.

>>What standards must these Li-ion batteries needs to comply before we
>>purchase them? UL2054 or UL1642 standards or both ? What about European
standards ?
4. UL 1642 is the applicable U.S. standard for cells. UL 2054 could be
applied as well to a Li-Ion battery pack as well, but in your case, the
requirements within the overall product standard (60950?) should apply. Not
sure about the equivalent CENELEC standard.

5. When discussing battery issues, please refer to them as "cells" or
"battery packs", so that we all know whether you mean an individual cell or
a pack made up of two or more connected cells. I am making assumptions that
when you say "battery", what you mean is, a removable battery pack, but I
guess it's conceivable to have a widget that the cells are permanently
mounted inside of, although I can't conceive why anyone would do that, since
the typical life of a Li-Ion is going to be around 500 charge-discharge
cycles. In the case of a Li-Ion battery pack, the only information required
on the pack is the voltage and the IEC symbol referring the user to the
operator's manual, where you will be required to have statements regarding
the proper replacement of the battery, statements telling the operator not
to disassemble, crush, or incinerate the battery pack, and not to operate
above a certain temperature (usually around 200 C - this is very important,
since people are always using their ITE devices in a friggin walk-in oven at
392 F to crush, disassemble, or incinerate their Li-Ion battery packs). This
max temperature comes from the conditions of acceptability for the cell
itself, and will vary between brands. Alternately, all of this info can be
on the battery pack itself, but it's a lot of text that you may not be able
to fit - 60950 does allow the warnings to be in the operator's & service
guides.

>>We might want the supplier to put our company name on the battery,
>>what can we do (or request from the supplier) to protect ourself on
>>liability issue?

If you figure out a way to get your company excused from any liability
resulting from use of a product that your company produces, please let me
know. Name or no name on it, if you sell that product, you could be liable
for any damages. As always, independent third party evaluation of your
product's compliance to the accepted national safety standards of the
country in which you are marketing the product, along with diligent &
demonstratable product and process control in the manufacturing of said
product is your best defense against product liability. But all that still
doesn't ultimately relieve you of liability.

Hope this helped. Please note that the opinions expressed above are my own
opinions and not neccessarily that of my employer.

Doug Massey
LXE, Inc.