From: Allen, John
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2001 8:13 AM
To: emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: US Mains Plug/Earthing

Hi Folks

>From my days (about 10 years ago) of dealing with UL on this issue, I seem
to remember that pluggable Listed products had to a power cord and that
power cord had to have a fitted plug that was suitable and legal for the
country in which the product was to be used - and that certainly included
the USA.

Taking on board some of the comments from other respondents,it is
difficult/impossible to use, or sometimes to even sell, a product that is
not Listed by UL or another NRTL - and they will only List if it complies
with the appropriate standard.  Most of these standards are now harmonized
with Canada - and fairly much with the rest of the World

However,there used to be (and I suspect that a few are still around)a number
of very old US/Canadian standards which had much less stringent requirements
for insulation sizing and dielectric withstand, and often did not require
either a Class I earth connnection or "proper" double insulation for types
of products where the equivalent IEC/EN standards did/do require one or the
other.

Possibly, this is where the orginal correspondent's customer probably got
his idea that a 2-pin plug would be adequate!

Nevertheless if there is an appropriate "old style" standard still valid for
the product, and the product meets the relevant technical requirements, then
it could be possible for him to obtain Listing with that 2-pin plug!

Now, someone tell me that I am too out-of-date and that the above
possibility does not exist (please!).

John Allen
Thales Defence Communications Division
Bracknell, UK