Hi David,

Two quick tidbits came to mind.

1.  Many products with fans use thermostats or thermistors to control the
fans.  In these products, the fans are only turned on when a certain
internal temperature is reached.  So, there probably is a good justification
for measuring the noise at the max rated temperature in order to ensure that
you record a maximum noise level.

2.  I'm not surprised hear that the standard allows you to rate the product
at room temperature and then take an "informational" measurement at max
rated temperature.  I have seen instances in other ETSI standards (ETS 300
386-1 for EMC) where the standard asks for a test to be performed with no
pass/fail criteria and the results to simply be documented for the user.

Stay compliant my man!

Chris Maxwell
Design Engineer
NetTest