Kevin:

You are actually testing a signal-to-noise ratio. The desired signal is
reduced until you get to a certain level of degradation (which is unique to
the receiver you have chosen). You then use that level to determine the
amount of undesired (interfering) signal. You apply that undesired signal,
while also applying the restored desired signal. And if the message failure
rate is under 25%, you pass.

This method actually adjusts the interfering signal level to match the
sensitivity of the selected receiver. If your receiver is more sensitive to
your desired signal, then you are right, the applied undesired signal level
will also be lower.

You should use the same illuminating antenna for both signals. Be sure your
power combiner and antenna balun are safe from RF overload. If you can, use
isolators to protect the two signal sources. If isolators are not available,
try using about 6 dB attenuators ahead of the signal sources.

Unless the antenna is uniquely designed into the receiver, military testing
prefers that you do this all within coax, in essence performing an antenna
port conducted susceptibility test.

Regards,

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab
Cubic Defense Systems
San Diego, CA  USA
858-505-2780  (Voice)
858-505-1583  (Fax)
Military & Avionics EMC Services Is Our Specialty
Shake-Bake-Shock - Metrology - Reliability Analysis