Duncan,

Here is the definition of "Direct Plug-in Equipment" from the EN60950
standard-"Equipment that is intended to be used without a power supply cord;
the mains plug forms an integral part of the equipment enclosure so that the
weight of the equipment is taken by the socket-outlet"

These are what I refer to as wall transformers. They are small (at most
about 3 x 4 x 2") units that plug in the wall and typically have a low
voltage DC output for things like printers, portable radios, etc.

Even if your unit was considered "Direct Plug-in Equipment" that part of the
test would not be applicable since your equipment is Class I and therefore
by definition has an equipment grounding conductor.

I do not know the rationale behind the S1 requirement.

I hope this answers at least some of your questions.

Kurt Andrews
Compliance Engineer

Tracewell Systems, Inc.
567 Enterprise Drive