I have a Dielectric Voltage-Withstand Test question.  Paragraph 49.1.1(b) of
UL 508 says a product will withstand a potential between terminals of
opposite polarity with the contacts closed.  By contacts I assume they are
referring to On-Off switch contact and relay contacts so the potential will
be presented throughout the circuit.  Given that this is the intent of the
paragraph, the circuit is on and will pass current as intended in normal
operation.

Paragraph 49.1.3 says "A transformer, a coil, an electronic part, or a
similar device normally connected between lines of opposite polarity is t be
disconnected from on side of the line during the test described in
49.1.1(b)."

This makes sense and is easy to do if you have a very simple circuit -
simply open the load and conduct your dielectric test.  But if you have a
more complex circuit things are more difficult to figure out.  Our immediate
situation is one in which a 24VDC source is fed to a voltage regulator.  We
can remove this component, but by doing so, we open the circuit and test
only the trace between the DC input and the regulator; the remainder of the
circuitry is unaffected by the potential and thus is untested.  Is the
proper method then to lift the ground leg of the regulator and then work on
down the line lifting each current conducting component to ground?

Dan Kinney
Horner APG